Raspberry and Beetroot Ice Cream
A brightly coloured Summer treat that's full of healthy ingredients.
- 100 grams Raspberry frozen, thawed or fresh
- 100 grams cooked and diced Beetroot to cook beetroot; place a whole beetroot in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring the pot to the boil and then simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted all the way through
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup/Rice Malt Syrup/Honey
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract optional
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream place an opened can of coconut milk/cream in the fridge overnight. Scoop out the thickened cream and discard the watery remains
- 1-2 more Tablespoons Maple Syrup/Rice Malt Syrup/Honey
Place the raspberries, diced beetroot, water and maple syrup in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool.
Place the cooked mixture in a kitchen blender and process until pureed. Alternatively this can be done with a hand stick blender. Add the coconut cream and vanilla extract and blend until well combined.
Taste and if desired add the extra sweetner
Ice Cream in the freezer
Pour the Ice-cream into a shallow container and cover. Freeze for at least 4 hours (longer is fine). Once set remove from the container and process in the blender until smooth. Serve immediately. This last step is needed as the Ice cream can go too hard and icy.
You can leave the icecream on the bench for 20 inutes to allow it to soften which may mean you don't need to blend it.