Apricot, Sultana & Coconut Quinoa Porrdige with toasted Almonds
Quinoa is a great Gluten Free alternative for breakfast. This Porridge uses dried fruits instead of sugar to sweeten your mornings and can be made dairy free by using your favourite milk alternative.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 Cup Quinoa rinsed with cold water and patted dried
- 2 Cups Milk plus 2/3-1 Cup extra, of choice (almond, rice, soy, dairy etc)
- 1/2 Cup Sultanas
- 1/2 Cup dried Apricots cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon extra for sprinkling
- 2 Tablespoons Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Almonds cut into pieces (slivered or flaked almonds can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Maple Syrup or Honey
- Honey/Maple Syrup for drizzling
Bring 2 cups of milk and the quinoa to the boil in a medium sized saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 12-14 minutes. After 12-14 minutes the milk will have been absorbed and the quinoa will be tender.
Whilst the Quinoa is cooking make the toasted almonds. Place the maple syrup/honey in a small saucepan and add the almonds. Stir over a medium until the nuts are lightly toasted, approximately 3-5 minutes.
After the quinoa has simmered, stir in 2/3's of the sultanas and apricots, the cinnamon and the extra 2/3 cup of milk into the Quinoa Porridge and stir, uncovered and on a medium/low heat, for
3-5 minutes or until the porridge is creamy and the quinoa is soft. If you prefer your porridge creamier add the extra milk.
Divide the Quinoa Porridge into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with the remaining dried apricots and sultanas, sprinkle with coconut and top each bowl with the toasted nuts.
Drizzle with Honey and add the extra cinnamon to taste.