Chocolate Pavlova Cake
This Chocolate Pavlova Cake is a tasty mash-up of desserts with a hidden veggie just for fun!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time39 mins
Chocolate Eggplant Cake
- 1 large/medium sized Eggplant baked whole in moderate oven for 20-30 minutes or until super mushy and gooey inside. You will need 2/3 Cup of mushy eggplant.
- 1/2 Cup Oil I’ve used Olive OIl but you can use melted coconut oil or any other oil without a strange taste
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup/Rice Malt Syrup
- 4 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 6 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Cococa
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup/Rice Malt Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Arrowroot Cornflour can be used
- 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Cups Coconut Cream Place an opened can of coconut cream/milk in the fridge overnight. Scoop off the thickened cream and discard the watery remains.
- 2 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Eggplant Cake
Preheat the oven to 180C/360F.
Line and grease a 20cm/8 inch round cake tin.
Remove the skin from the baked eggplant and scoop out the mushy flesh. You will need 2/3 Cup of mushy eggplant goodness (but not the tough skins).
Place the eggplant in a blender and process until mushy. Add the oil, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and 1/2 Cup of cocoa. Blend until smooth. This can also be done with a hand blender.
In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs by hand. DO NOT over whisk/mix.
Whisk in the chocolate eggplant mix until combined.
Sift and stir through the dry ingredients (including the remaining cocoa) until combined. Make sure that there are no lumps of coconut flour remaining.
Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and immediately add the Pavlova mixture to the top of the cake.
Reduce the oven temp to 140C and bake for a further 30 minutes.
Turn the oven off and leave the oven door ajar until the cake has cooled.
Top with whipped cream and fruit.
Start to make the Pavlova when the cake is halfed cooked. That way it will be ready to be used. The Pavlova mix needs to be made and then spread over the cake immediately.
Place the egg whites, sweetener and vanilla in a clean bowl of a kitchen stand mixer. Whisk on high for 5-8 minutes until firm. Gently add the arrowroot and vinegar and whisk until just combined.
In a bowl of a kitchen stand with a whisk attachment, add the thickened coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk on high until thick.
Place the cream in the fridge and allow to thicken before using (allow 4 hours)