Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
It appears my 2 year old little Angel was turned into a moody teenager overnight, or perhaps she’s a early threenager. Either way, if this is what we have in stall for us in 10 years time then YIKES!!!!!
She likes to party into the wee hours of the morning.
She thinks it’s the end of the world when her blanket is folded.
She has a pout, a stance and glare that all scream “leave me alone”.
She’s defiant, moody and her room is a mess….just normal teenager behaviour!
My Mum once told me that she hoped I would one day have a daughter just like me.
She didn’t mean it as a compliment.
I think she is getting her wish!
When you think of Mothers Day it’s quite often just your own Mother that you focus on. This Apple Tea Cake is for all those Grandmothers who need to be celebrated on Mothers Day. It’s a Gluten Free and Paleo take on the retro classic Apple Tea Cake and it pairs perfectly with a cup of tea, a story about the good ol’ days and a bit of cross stitching.
This Apple Tea Cake is a dense sponge cake that is ‘spiced up’ with cinnamon. On top the cake are slices of thinly cut apples, that are arranged so they just overlap and cover nearly the entire top of the cake. If you’re looking for a bit more decadence, sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon over the apple before baking to make a caramelised, slightly crunchy topping.
This Apple Tea Cake tastes great both warm and cold. Some advice; if you want to devour your Apple Tea Cake warm with lashings of cream then allow the cake to cool completely then reheat it. Why you ask (when surely it would be easier to eat it straight from the oven)?? Because as the cake cools it becomes more structurally sound which means it can be sliced and served without it falling to pieces. You could try cooking the Apple Tea Cake for a few minutes less and eating it straight from the tin as an almost pudding!!
So make sure you don’t forget the Nans, Grandmas, Omas, Nonnas and the Grannies this Mothers Day.
This Apple Tea Cake is part of my Mothers Day Extravaganza!!!! Already I’ve shared these secretly healthy Chocolate Cupcakes with 2 more recipes to come in time for Mum.
Apple Tea Cake
Apple Tea Cake
- 6 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup or Rice Malt Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Milk of choice
- 3 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup plus 1 teaspoon Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Cup Almond Meal or Arrowroot for a Nut Free version
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 Apples of choice, cored and thinkly sliced
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated Sugar Coconut, Raw etc
- Pinch of Cinnamon
Apple Tea Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.Line and grease a 20cm/8 inch round baking tin.
- Place the eggs into the clean bowl of a kitchen stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk the egg on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla and whisk until large peaks have formed. Continue whisking on medium/high and add the milk.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the dry ingredients together. Ensure that the coconut flour has no lumps in it.
- Fold through the dry ingredients.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- Take the apple slices and arrange them nicely and pretty like on top the cake. I made a ring on the outside which the slices just overlapping and a second ring/line in the centre.
- If using, combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the cake. You can omit the sugar and just sprinkle cinnamon.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tray. Serve the Apple Tea Cake cold or warm again and serve with cream.