Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
My Facebook and Pinterest feeds have been taken over with pumpkin recipes of late (did you see the Pumpkin Spice Flavoured Chlorox? Still not sure if that was real or not). As the other side of the world starts boasting about their coloured leaves and pumpkin spice everything all I can think of when I see a pumpkin recipe is “would it work with sweet potato?”.
I don’t get the pumpkin obsession. This is probably for many reasons, one being that my heart already belongs to another vegetable! Pumpkin Pie (except for this one), Pumpkin Cheese cake and Pumpkin Spice Lattes don’t really do anything for me; I’m more of a lemon fan girl myself!
The one Pumpkin craze I can get behind is Pumpkin Bread; which of course is the vegetable cousin to Banana bread. Taking Pumpkin Bread to a new level become my mission when making this Pumpkin Cardamom and Coconut Bread. I know what you’re thinking, how dare I use something other than Pumpkin Spice in my Pumpkin Bread but just trust me. This is worth getting out of your cinnamon inspired comfort zone for. Cardamom is such an underused spice. I have always found it pairs well with Zucchini, and now with Pumpkin too. You don’t need much to pack a strong flavor punch.
This Pumpkin Cardamom and Coconut Bread turns out a little bit different to my other bread recipes. It is a bit flatter and denser, so it’s perfect for afternoon tea with a solid helping of butter or jam. I topped mine with Pumpkin Seeds and Coconut to give it an extra crunch
So it doesn’t matter if it’s Autumn, Fall or a really late Spring (it still felt like Winter until today!) there’s always time for a slice of this Pumpkin Cardamom and Coconut Bread!!
Pumpkin, Cardamom and Coconut Bread
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup/Rice Malt Syrup
- 270 grams puréed/mashed Pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Milk of choice
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 2/3 Cup Almond Meal
- 1/3 Cup Arrowroot
- 2/3 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bicarb Soda Baking Soda
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons Cardamom
- Dash of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) x 10cm (4 inch) loaf tin.
- Place the eggs into the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer and beat on medium until fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add the maple syrup and continue to beat on medium. Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the pureed Pumpkin to the mixing bowl and beat on medium until well combined. Add milk.
- In a separate bowl sift the dry ingredients together.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and extra coconut on top if desired.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Can be eaten cold or it's super tasty slightly warmed.