Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
By far the most popular recipe on Mummy Made.It is my Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Icing. Everyone loves Carrot Cake, especially when it’s a healthier version, but sometimes it’s just too darn hot for cake. Personally, I like to turn the air con up so I can still use my oven and still eat cake all year round but not everyone is as crazy as me. That’s why I decided to make this Raw Carrot Cake Ice Cream; so normal people (unlike me!) can enjoy carrot cake in the summer.
When researching this Raw Carrot Cake Ice Cream recipe I found loads of Carrot Cake Ice Cream recipes but they all used baked carrot cake. This does sound delicious but not practical when it’s 40°C and you don’t want to go outside, let alone turn the oven on! It got me to thinking about why people love carrot cake so much and it came to me; it’s the spices. The aroma of cinnamon and the hint of ginger make the carrot so much more than just a meek vegetable; it turns it into a dessert!
This recipe uses all the elements of a carrot cake in the form of a dough which is then mixed with cream and frozen to make the ice cream. It has a lot of spice flavour and is probably more of an adult ice cream than for kids. It definitely has the flavour of a carrot cake, and even some of the texture thanks to raw grated carrots and currants. I have used Coconut Cream to make this Raw Carrot Cake Ice Cream dairy free and vegan, however feel free to use dairy cream if you choose. Coconut Cream freezes differently to its dairy equivalent and can become icy when frozen. I’ve played around with many different ways of setting coconut cream to make ice cream and have found that it works best when mixed with something (ie fruit, dough etc).
If using icy-pole moulds then the icecream will set nice and evenly but if you are setting the icecream in a larger container then it pays to blend it before serving. I use my trusty blender to make it smooth again. I don’t own an ice cream machine but I am confident that if you follow the manufacturers instructions it will be super tasty. My favourite is the moulds; they’re portion controlled, less dishes to wash, and it makes me feel like a kid again!
If you have any questions please let me know. I’d love to get your feedback. Feel free to make a 1/2 recipe as well, as it will make about 6 icy poles depending on the size of your moulds. If you like nuts in your carrot cake or ice cream feel free to stir 1/3 cup chopped nuts through when adding the currants/sultanas. The extra carrots and currants are added last so they maintain their full texture, rather than being broken down in the blender. I like that I can see grated carrots and raisins in my ice cream; it makes me feel less guilty!
Raw Carrot Cake Ice Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup can be swapped for another liquid sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Almond Meal other nuts or seeds can be substituted
- 1/2 Cup Arrowroot
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Dash of Salt
- 1/2 Cup grated Carrots
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Coconut Cream the thickened part of an opened tin of coconut milk/cream that has been left lid off in the fridge overnight- you could use Dairy Cream as well
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup grated Carrot
- 1/4 Cup Currants or Sultanas
- Place all the ingredients for the dough in a blender and process until combined. This can also be done by hand if you don't have a blender.
- Place the thickened cream (do not use the watery remains) in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer with a whisk attachment fitted.
- Add the vanilla and maple syrup and whisk until combined.
- Add the dough mixture and whisk until fully combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots and currants.
- Pour the mixture directly into the moulds and place in the freezer for at least 6 hours (but preferably over night). To assist in removing the icy pole run the mound under warm water to loosen it.
Ice Cream in the freezer
- Pour the Ice-cream into a shallow container and cover. Freeze for at least 4 hours (longer is fine). Once set remove from the container and process in the blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
- This last step is needed as the Ice cream can go too hard and icy.
Ice Cream Machine
- Follow the manufacturers instructions.