Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
I have decided that we are to become a family who wear matching socks. If you have ever seen me at Pilates or the boys running around toddler gym you would have noticed the oddness of our feet. It’s often 1 Superman paired with 1 Spider-Man, 1 pink sports sock ‘matched’ with a green stripped long sock or just 2 randomly picked socks that bear absolutely no resemblance or even fibre content to each other.
My husband’s way of combating this issue is by buying 7 pairs of identical black socks. This way it doesn’t matter if the dogs eat a few or the washing machine monster abducts a right or a left sock, there will always be a pair. No odd socks.
Why have I made such a ‘bold’ decision? During my packing for our big move (to all of 2 kilometres away!) I came across a basket full of odd socks of all colours, lengths and sizes. Some had holes, some eventually found their ‘sole’ mates and the remaining ‘foot loose and fancy free singles’ got thrown away. Sounds a bit like the finale of the ‘Bachelor’ doesn’t it! I decided new house = new beginnings. Less clutter (i.e. less crap which is why we have emptied 5 trailer loads at the tip already), more class and a home that people can pop into without giving me at least 24 hours’ notice. Of course, matching socks will be the shining glory in my new house!
There wasn’t a lot I could do with my ‘leftover’ socks, but left over egg whites are a different story. I love custards and curds but they leave behind lots of egg whites. I usually use them to make Marshmallows or Meringue but I was inspired by a recipe I saw in Poh’s latest cook book ‘Same Same but Different’. These Chocolate Brownie Macadamia Cookies are a super-rich, Chocolatey cookie that takes just like a brownie. The bonus with these Chocolate Brownie Macadamia Cookies is that are quicker to make than a brownie and use simple ingredients… including your left over egg whites. Be warned; these cookies are very rich and decadent and not for the faint hearted!! If you haven’t got an electric whisk use a hand whisk and your big arm muscles (or at least they will be after this workout!) and the cookies will still be super tasty.
Chocolate Brownie Macadamia Cookies
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa
- 1/4 Cup Macadamia/Almond Meal other nut or seed meals can be substituted
- 1 Cup Macadamias halved or smaller (other nuts can be substituted or omitted for nut free)
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F. Line and grease 2 baking trays.
- Whisk the egg whites in the clean bowl of a kitchen stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment on medium/high until soft peaks form (this can be done using a hand whisk).
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cocoa and whisk on medium until combined. Fold in the nuts.
- Use an ice-cream scoop, or a 1/4 or 1/3 cup measurement, to make 10-11 cookie mounds on the baking tray. Use 2 baking trays to ensure that the cookies do not spread on top of each other.
- Flatten each mound slightly into a round shape.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes (depending on your oven this may be up to 13-15 minutes), or until cooked on top and firm on the bottom. The cookies will firm up open cooling.
- These Chocolate Brownie Macadamia Cookies are best eaten within 24 hours of baking.