Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
2015 is shaping up to be a pretty huge year. So far Mummy Made.It has been written up in our local paper, I had 3 recipes featured in a beautiful spread in the Clean Eating Australia Magazine (including Nutella Frosting and Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes) and today I bring you my first sponsored recipe, thanks to Sunbeam Foods. Sunbeam Foods are an Australian based company whose product range include nuts and seeds, dried fruits and (very excitedly!!) flour alternatives including Coconut Flour and Macadamia Meal (I’ll be doing some experimenting with the Macadamia Meal in the coming weeks).
I know many people struggle with breakfast ideas when they go gluten free; the bread can be like a rock, the cereals bland and there’s only so many smoothies you can drink before you want real food (especially on a cold morning). Over the next few weeks I’ll be sharing some of my favourite breakfast recipes with you, most of which can also double as a dessert which suits me!
Today’s Gluten Free breakfast recipe is this Apricot, Sultana and Coconut Quinoa Porridge with toasted Almonds. 5 yo H used to love eating porridge in the winter and was devastated when I took it off rotation (he is not gluten intolerant but 3yo S is) so when I found Quinoa he has delighted. Cooking with Quinoa is just like cooking rice, but it’s so much tastier! Instead of using sugar to sweeten this Quinoa Porridge I have used dried fruits and maple toasted nuts from Sunbeam Foods, as well as a drizzle of honey over the top. The end product is a delicious, warm bowl of fruity breaky goodness that will fill your belly til lunch.
My favourite part of this recipe is the toasted Almonds. Normally when I make toasted nuts I do so in the oven, but that can take forever and sometimes you just need your sweet nuts now! They add an extra crunch factor to the Apricot, Sultana and Coconut Quinoa Porridge, plus they feel like a naughty treat at 7am.
**I would like to thank Sunbeam Foods for allowing me to develop this recipe for them. For developing this recipe I did receive a financial payment and product samples, which is great as I spend a fortunate on Sunbeam Foods products!**
Apricot, Sultana & Coconut Quinoa Porrdige with toasted Almonds
- 1 Cup Quinoa rinsed with cold water and patted dried
- 2 Cups Milk plus 2/3-1 Cup extra, of choice (almond, rice, soy, dairy etc)
- 1/2 Cup Sultanas
- 1/2 Cup dried Apricots cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon extra for sprinkling
- 2 Tablespoons Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Almonds cut into pieces (slivered or flaked almonds can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Maple Syrup or Honey
- Honey/Maple Syrup for drizzling
- Bring 2 cups of milk and the quinoa to the boil in a medium sized saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 12-14 minutes. After 12-14 minutes the milk will have been absorbed and the quinoa will be tender.
- Whilst the Quinoa is cooking make the toasted almonds. Place the maple syrup/honey in a small saucepan and add the almonds. Stir over a medium until the nuts are lightly toasted, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- After the quinoa has simmered, stir in 2/3's of the sultanas and apricots, the cinnamon and the extra 2/3 cup of milk into the Quinoa Porridge and stir, uncovered and on a medium/low heat, for
- 3-5 minutes or until the porridge is creamy and the quinoa is soft. If you prefer your porridge creamier add the extra milk.
- Divide the Quinoa Porridge into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with the remaining dried apricots and sultanas, sprinkle with coconut and top each bowl with the toasted nuts.
- Drizzle with Honey and add the extra cinnamon to taste.