Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
I’m sorry, I have been lazy. I have not posted a new, original recipe for the past 2 weeks. It’s not that I’ve run out of ideas or coconut flour (I could not step foot into the kitchen for the next 4 months and still have more than enough recipes to share with you all… I might go crazy if I didn’t get to cook though!). It’s just been such a busy time! Between end of year stuff, Christmas and New Year, time has gotten away from me… and from everyone one else too I bet.
I wanted to make the first recipe of 2015 a simple, yet tasty one. Whilst I do love my impressive looking layer cakes and complicated desserts sometimes all you have the patience, the will power, and the energy for is a simple loaf. I’m not saying all the recipes this year will only have 1 list of ingredients but I do promise to try and keep it under 6!
Take my resolutions for this year as an example of my willingness for simplicity. I have decided “to do less so I can be more”. A bit vague I know but that was intentional so I could keep my options open. 2014 was the year of proving myself. 2013 was a shocker of a year for my confidence, my sanity and my relationships, so last year I needed to prove (mostly to myself) that I still had ‘it’. ‘It’ turned out to be a stubborn driving force and sheer determination to never give up, which I showed that I had by the truck load (equally matched by stupidity!) and I earned back my own respect.
2014 also left me tired so in 2015 I want to “do less so I can be more”. I want to not spread myself so thinly that I become invisible. I want to be better at what matters and not get caught up in what doesn’t.
Of course, I also want to do a TV appearance for Mummy Made.It, sign a publishing deal, reach a critical mass of followers on the blog and produce the best tasting healthier desserts and treats in the universe… you know; just the simple things!
Let’s start the news year the right way with this Lemon and Blueberry Bread. This loaf is a take on my classic Banana Bread. I have found the Banana Bread to be such a versatile and easy base recipe to play with and create new flavours, like Pumpkin Spice Bread, Passionfruit and Raspberry Banana Bread, Cranberry and Orange Bread and a Date and Walnut Loaf. The Banana can be substituted for Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, or even grated vegetables (you’ll have to wait for my new cook book later in the year for that one!) to create an entirely new flavour combination.
Lemon and Blueberries are a classic match. As the berries themselves are sweet I have been able to decrease the amount of sweetener in the recipe and still create a loaf that is tasty but won’t make your teeth fall out. Enjoy the simplicity of this recipe; I cannot promise that the next recipe will be so straightforward!!
Lemon and Blueberry Bread
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup/Honey
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 270 grams Mashed Banana approximately 3 medium but measure to be sure
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
- Zest of 2-3 Lemons
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bicarb Soda
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot
- 3/4 Cup Almond Meal or Seed Meal
- Dash of Salt
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Blueberries I used frozen
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Line and grease a loaf tin.
- Place the eggs in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer and beat for 5 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat on high until smooth.
- Place the banana in a blender and puree until smooth. Add to the mixture, beating on high.
- Add the juice and zest and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the mixture on low speed.
- Fold the Blueberries through the mixture.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 55 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin before serving.