Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
I know I’ve said I love spring time, but there’s one element I truly dislike; the swooping, eye gouging magpies! During springtime the normally quiet birds become aggressive, heat seeking missiles that aim to mane and cause grievous bodily harm.
Magpies like to fly in from behind and try and pull out your eyeballs, your sideburns and nibble on your ears. If they don’t get you the first time then they try again, and again and won’t stop until you’re running like a crazy lady, arms waving overhead and shouting profanities at the fauna. I’m sure it looks hilarious to passing motorists; a Lycra clad runner doing her best impression of a windmill, but believe me it’s not very funny when you have a bit of your ear lobe missing!
Damn magpies. Luckily swooping season’s almost over and the cyclists can remove their alien antennas from their helmets. Next year I might try cupcakes as bribe offerings to the angry birds. Surely no one would hurt the lady who brought dessert?
This Chocolate and Strawberry Mascarpone Cheese Cake is a mouthful; both in title and in taste. It may not ward off swooping magpies but it will make you feel better as you try to regrow lost ear lobes. It’s appeal is in the dairy free Chocolate Mascarpone Cream. It’s perfect by itself but when topped with jelly and strawberries it’s a decadent dessert. This dessert is worth the extra effort it takes to make the home made dairy free Mascarpone. Making it only really takes 20 minutes work but it requires 48 hours chilling time. Dairy Free Whipped Cream is super easy to make as well.
This Chocolate and Strawberry Mascarpone Cheese Cake contains no real cheese or dairy, and technically is more tart than cake. There is very little sweetner in the dessert as the Strawberries add the natural sweetness it requires (raspberries could be substituted if in season). Use whichever chocolate Biscuits you have handy (I have used these and these).
Chocolate and Strawberry Mascarpone Cheese Cake
- 300 grams Chocolate Biscuits 1 serve of Chocolate Ripple Cookies or any other Chocolate Cookies
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil melted
Chocolate Mascarpone Cream
- 1 Cup 250 grams Mascarpone (See links)
- 1 Cup Coconut Whipped Cream See links
- 4 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Gelatine
- 2 Tablespoons Water
Strawberry Jelly Top
- 1 Cup Strawberries Fresh or frozen
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Gelatine
- Strawberries to decorate cut into pieces
Whipped Coconut Cream
- This recipe makes more than required. Use the rest to serve with the cheese cake
- 1 can Coconut Cream 400ml can, opened and in fridge overnight. This should measure 1 1/2 cups.
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Line and grease a 20 cm/8 inch round spring form tin.
- Place the biscuits in the blender and process to make fine crumbs.
- Add the melted coconut oil and blend until combined.
- Press the crumbs into the tin; on the bottom of the tin and up the side walls.
- Place the base in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
Chocolate Mascarpone Cream
- Place the mascarpone, whipped cream, maple syrup, vanilla and cocoa in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer and whisk on medium/high until incorporated (do not over mix).
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and allow to sit and thicken for 5 minutes.
- Place the thickened gelatine in a saucepan and lightly heat until a liquid forms (this can be done in a microwave also).
- Add the gelatine to the chocolate mascarpone cream mix and whisk to combine.
- Pour/scoop the cream mix into the pie crust and place in the fridge to set. Allow at least 2-4 hours before adding the jelly topping.
Strawberry Jelly Topping
- Place 1 cup of Strawberries and 1 cup of water in a blender and process until processed and no chunks remain.
- Place the Strawberry liquid in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil and remove from the heat. Slowly sprinkle the gelatine into the liquid, whisking continuously. Allow to cool slightly (but not thicken).
- Arrange the cut strawberries over the top of the chocolate mascarpone cream.
- Pour the jelly over the arranged strawberries. Place the finished dessert in the fridge to set for 2-4 hours to set the Jelly.
- Remove from the fridge and slice and serve.
- Keep in the fridge between servings.
Whipped Coconut Cream
- Scoop the thickened cream from the tin, discarding the watery liquid at the bottom.
- Place the cream in a mixing bowl of a kitchen stand and beat using a whisk attachment.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla and continue whisking until thick (this can take up to 10 minutes depending on the quality of your cream).Depending on your taste buds you may require more sweetener.
- Keep refridgerated.