Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
4 yo H is quite concerned that Easter Bunny won’t be able to find us this year. We are going to an Easter Festival for the weekend so he has decided to leave Easter Bunny a Note. Knowing H, and his tendency to ramble and over share (wonder where he gets that from?) this is probably what his letter will look like:
Dear Easter Bunny
This year we are not at our home. We are at my crazy Uncle Damien’s house.
He used to eat a lot of Spanish rice when he was my age.
Sometimes I like to eat it; I like Sweet and Sour too.
I can’t eat it at Kinder though.
Sometimes I eat carrots or eggs.
Please leave my Easter presents at Uncle Damien’s for me.
And maybe something for my Brother; but only if you want to.
These Carrot Cupcakes have been decorated to look like super cute Easter Chickens.
They are a yummy and simple Easter treat to make with the kids. I have used desiccated coconut for the ‘feathers’ and colored them using natural food colorings (the color comes from Tumeric). The beak is made from carrot and the eyes from cream and cocoa paste, however sultanas can be substituted.
Carrot Cupcakes (Easter Chicken Cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup packed, Dates
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Dash of Bicarb
- 3 Eggs separated
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 150 grams Grated Carrots
- 100 g Apple Sauce see recipe below
- 2/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon Mixed spice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup - 1/2 Tablespoon Milk of choice
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Desiccated Coconut
- All Natural Yellow food colouring
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa or use sultanas
- 2-3 Tablespoons Lemon Cream
- 1 can of Coconut Cream 400ml can, can opened and placed in fridge overnight
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 4 apples peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F
- Place dates, boiling water and bicarb in a bowl (making sure dates are covered) and allow to sit and soften (approximately 30 minutes).
- Place dates and water in a blender and blend until a smooth date paste is formed.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a kitchen stand with a whisk attachment fitted.
- Whisk on medium/high until soft peaks form.
- Add maple syrup 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to whisk on medium/high.
- Add purred dates and vanilla extract and whisk on medium/high.
- Add egg yolks and whisk until combined.
- Place carrots and apple sauce in a blender and blend until combined
- With mixer on low add the carrot/apple mix.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add juice, zest and vinegar to milk.
- Add dry ingredients and milk mix alternately whilst whisking on low until combined.
- Whisk on medium/high for 1 minute.
- Divide evenly amongst 12 greased cupcake liners.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until baked through.
- Allow to cool in tin for 15 minutes then remove.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting with Lemon Cream.
- Smooth Lemon Cream onto of each cupcake, retaining 2-3 Tablespoons for the decorations
- Place the coconut in a ziplock bag with a few squirts of food dye and shake the bag until all the coconut is coloured.
- Put the coconut in a shallow bowl and dip each frosted cupcake in the bowl covering the cream with the coloured coconut.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa with a small drop of water and stir. Add water one drop at a time until a thick paste is formed.
- Pipe/spoon 2 small dots of the reserved coconut cream on the coconut to form the eyes. Use a tooth pick to place a small dot of the cocoa paste in the centre of the cream eye.
- Cut the carrot into pieces to use as a beak.
- Place the cupcakes in the fridge when not serving.
- Remove cream can from the fridge and scoop out the thickened cream into the bowl of a kitchen mixer with a whisk attachment. Discard watery component
- Whisk on high until thick.
- Add extract, maple syrup, juice and zest. Whisk on high until combined.
- Store in fridge until required.
- Frosted cupcakes will need to be stored in the fridge.
- Place apples and water in saucepan. Cover with lid.
- Bring to boil, then simmer on medium for 7-10 minutes, or until apple is soft.
- Store in fridge.