Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
Sometimes you just need a good Custard.
This recipe is for a really good Custard. It’s also Gluten, Dairy and Processed Sugar Free and Paleo ; so that makes it good for you too.
Dairy Free Custard
- 4 Egg Yolks approximately 70 grams
- 300 ml Milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Flour
- Place the milk and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to near boiling point over low/medium heat.
- Place the egg yolks, maple syrup and arrowroot in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixture (or using an electric hand whisk) and whisk on medium until pale and thick. This may take 3-5 minutes.
- With the whisk still on, gently pour the almost boiling milk mixture into the bowl. Do this by pouring the hot liquid down the sides of the bowl.
- Return to combined mixture to the saucepan and whisk continually over medium heat until boiling. Continue whisking the boiling mixture for 1 minute.
- Pour the custard into a heat proof bowl and allow to cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap and Refrigerate until ready to use.
- The custard will thicken upon cooling.
Adapted from Adriano Zumbo