Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
What’s more romantic than a pie full of hearts? A stomach full of pie! And such a pretty pie it is.
Thanks to my new addiction to Pinterest I found this idea to turn a simple (yet tasty) pie into a romantic centerpiece, worthy of any loved up occasion. The construction of the pie is not difficult, it just takes some time to cut and place the hearts. I chose apple and strawberry as my flavors (for no other reason than that was all I had in the fridge!) however the strawberries could be substituted for raspberries or blueberries, and the apples for pears.
Apple and Strawberry Heart PieA romantic way to a mans heartServings: 12
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal
- 1 cup plus 4 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil softened
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup honey can be used
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Apple and Strawberry Filling
- 500 grams of Apple measured before cutting, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup or Honey
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- 300 grams Strawberries hulled and cut into large segments (frozen or fresh is fine)
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Grease the bottom of a 18cm/7inch pie tin.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a kitchen blender and process on low until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend until the dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap.
- Place the dough in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- After 1 hour separate the dough into 2 equal parts. Wrap one ball of dough again and place in the fridge.
- Press the remaining dough into the tin, pressing the dough up the edges of the tin to create a wall.
- Pierce the bottom of the pastry 10 times.
- Place in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Allow the pie crust to cool completely.
- Remove the 2nd ball of dough from the fridge.
- Roll out the dough on a greased bench or on baking paper.
- Using a 5cm H x 3cm W sized heart cutter, cut out 45 hearts (there may be a couple left over but it's safer to have more than less).
- Place the hearts in the fridge until ready to use.
Apple and Strawberry Filling
- Per heat the oven to 175C/350F
- Place the apple, water, maple syrup and zest in a saucepan.
- Simmer, with lid on, for 10-12 minutes, or until the apple is soft.
- Stir in strawberries and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, drain the excess liquid from the fruit mixture.
- Spoon the drained mixture into the cooled pie crust.
- Brush water over the edge of the pie crust.
- Arrange the cut hearts around the edge of the pie, gently pushing the hearts into the pie crust to join.
- Once the outside circle is complete move to the middle circle and place hearts concentrically around, joining and overlapping as per the first layer.
- Complete the inner circle last.
- Brush the hearts lightly with water and lightly press the overlaps together.
- Place the pie in the oven for 20-25, or until the hearts start to brown (but not burn).
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving or wait and serve cold.
- Serve with Whipped Coconut Cream.
NotesAdapted from Martha Stewart