Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
My godlike-idol crush on Martha Stewart always grows at this time of year. Can the woman do no wrong?! (Clearly this is a rhetorical question as her past issues are well documented, however I choose to focus on the Martha who wears knitted reindeer jumpers not prison garb)
I think Martha Stewart must be an alien. She obviously exists in a different universe; one where there are far more than 24 hours in a day and dust does not exist. A parallel time that intersects with ours during this festive season so that alien Martha can bring forward the gifts of inspiration, perfection and creativity. The world of Martha (where surely she is Queen) has clean benches, full vases and everyone smiles. There is a faint odor of baked cookies and fir trees in the air, and no one ever gets angry. Why would you? Queen alien Martha would just bake you a cake if you even looked like getting sad.
Planet Martha was the inspiration for these cookies. A take on the classic Gingerbread, these Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are a great gift. Why not make a Christmas tree tower with frosting to join?!
NB it’s worth noting that Star Trek DS9 was on whilst I was writing this post… this may explain my ramblings!
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies2014-02-17 02:52:32Yields 16Prep Time1 hrCook Time13 minTotal Time2 hrPrep Time1 hrCook Time13 minTotal Time2 hrIngredients
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon Dates
- 50ml boiling water
- Dash of Bicarb
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Golden Syrup
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh, minced Ginger
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, softened
- 2/3 cup Almond Meal
- 1/3 cup Arrowroot
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Dash of Cloves
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Bicarb Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking PowderInstructions
- Place dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water, adding the bicarb.
- Allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, or until softened.
- Place softened dates in a blender and process on high until broken down.
- Add egg, golden syrup, fresh ginger and coconut oil and blend until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining, dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in the blender and process until combined and the dough forms.
- Remove dough from blender and form it into a flat disc.
- Wrap in glad wrap, and place in the fridge for 1 hour (the dough can be left overnight a this stage).
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Remove the dough and place between 2 sheets of baking powder and roll flat to approximately 5mm (1/4 inch) thickness.
- Cut out desired shapes and place on a lined and greased baking tray.
- Whilst cutting the shapes, if the dough becomes too soft and the cookies don't hold their shape place the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes and start the process again.
- Place the trays of cut cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Bake the cookies for 10-13 minutes (10-11 minutes for gingerbread men, 11-13 for bigger shapes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.Adapted from Martha StewartAdapted from Martha StewartMummy Made.It - Gluten Free, Paleo Desserts https://mummymade.it/