Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
The car is packed with traveling food (small pieces that are easy to handle without rubbish- so sadly no cupcakes!), 2 excited little boys and a boot full of bags with just enough space for a trip to Costco!
Ahhhh Costco, how I love thee.
Let me count the ways
- My favourite Hershey’s Cocoa
- Giant bottles of pure Maple Syrup
- Jars of Organic Coconut Oil
- Slabs of chickpeas
- The works largest box of Bicarb Soda (the only away to get stains off my benches!)
- Enough minced garlic to ward off the entire cast of Twilight
- Diamond rings (OK, so I won’t be buying one of these but it’s just so random that they stock them right near where they sell toilets!)
Maybe it’s more of a reflection on how boring my life is, but I get so excited about going to Costco. It’s not quite as bad as the first time I went to my favorite handbag discount outlet; I was surrounded by so many beautiful (and cheap!) bags that I hyperventilated!
Yep… I have a problem!
NB; please note I was not paid for confessing my undying love for Costco. Instead they will take way too much money off me, entice me to buy unnecessary items that at the time seem like the best thing ever and aid my addiction to baking.
I made these Choc-Orange Cake Balls for our road trip.
They are small enough that the kids eat them all without wastage, they don’t need liners so there is no rubbish and they are tasty! I chose not to fill them as I didn’t want the mess in the car, but I do at home because they are delicious!
Choc-Orange Cake Balls with Chocolate Cream
Choc-Orange Cake Balls
- 1/3 cup Dates
- 40 ml boiling water
- Dash of Bicarb Soda
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot/tapioca Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup/honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Sauce see below recipe- can substitute pumpkin purée or mashed banana
- 3 Tablespoons Milk of choice
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Dash of Cardamom
- Optional; Chocolate cream or frosting for filling
- 4 apples peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup water
Choc-Orange Cake Balls
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
- Place dates in a small bowl and cover with 40 ml of boiling water.
- Sprinkle with a dash of bicarb.
- Allow to sit for 20 minutes or until softened.
- Place in a small blender and process until a soft paste forms and the dates are broken down.
- Place the dry ingredients in a blender/kitchen whiz and mix until combined.
- Add the dates and the wet ingredients (EXCEPT for the milk) and process until smooth.
- Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until a smooth consistency is reached (the mixture should be pourable but not super runny.
- Add orange zest and cardamom and pulse briefly.
- Pour into a greased cake pop tin, remembering to also grease the lid tin.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled and removed from the tin, fill a piping bag with a small nozzle with the filling of choice. Insert into cake ball and pipe in.
- Filled balls will need to be refrigerated; unfilled balls can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Place apples and water in saucepan. Cover with lid.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until apple is soft.
- Store in fridge.