Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
I think I might start the Chickpea Appreciation Society. There are groups that honor all types of odd things; orchids, shitzus, Spock. So why not Chickpeas?
I have been a bit obsessed about the humble legume of late. They are full of fibre, low in calories and cheap; and I LOVE weirding people out by using them in the most unusual of ways. But beware, when you have a diet high in chickpeas and Brussels sprouts it’s a recipe for a very stinky household!
This Honey, Orange and Pistachio Cake was made for the lovely Judy. Judy is like a mother hen; she’s always looking out for people, taking care of them and making sure they know they’re special. It was Judys birthday, so I wanted to make her a cake to let her know we all think she’s pretty special too.
This is a moist, tasty cake that would be ideal for an afternoon tea with a cuppa and a big bowl of coconut whipped cream… and no will ever know that it came from the Chickpea Appreciation Society.
Honey, Orange and Pistachio Cake
- 110 grams chickpeas; canned drained, rinsed and patted dried
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 3/4 cup Almond meal
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs seperated
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice freshly squeezed
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1 cup Milk almond, coconut etc
- 1/3 Cup pistachios chopped
- Extra Honey for drizzling.
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Line and grease a 20cm/8inch cake tin.
- Combine chickpeas, coconut flour, almond meal and baking powder in a blender and blend until fine (the chickpeas will be broken down).
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment fitted, whisk the egg whites on medium until medium peaks form.
- Turn mixer off and add honey and zest and whisk on medium/high again.
- With mixer on medium/high, add egg yolks 1 at a time.
- Add dry ingredients and remaining wet (milk and orange juice) alternatively in 3 lots with mixer on low.
- Beat on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour cake mixture in prepared cake tin.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with pistachios.
- Bake for 40 min, or until cooked through.
- Rest in tin before removing.
- Can be served warm or cold and with whipped coconut cream.
- Drizzle cake with honey before serving.