Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
Over Ripe Bananas need no longer be the festy left overs at the bottom of the fruit bowl.
They are like the treasure at the end of the (fruit) rainbow; all black and spotty.
This Banana Cream/Custard can be eaten by its self, used in a Pie or even in a trifle.
Next time you are at the shops look for the blackest, gooiest Bananas you can find; that way there’s no need to wait for them to ripen before you get to inhale Banana Cream/Custard goodness.
- 2 very very ripe Bananas
- 1/3 cup Coconut Cream taken from the top of a can that's been in the fridge overnight
- 1/4 cup Milk Almond, Coconut etc
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Gelatin
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil melted
- 3/4 cup Whipped Coconut Cream- measure after whipping see recipe below
Whipped Coconut Cream
- 3/4 cup Coconut Cream can opened and in fridge overnight
- 1 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Combine the very, very ripe bananas, coconut cream and milk in a blender and puree until totally smooth.
- Add in the maple syrup, arrowroot, salt and egg yolks. Blend until no banana lumps remain.
- Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan.
- Before heating the banana mixture, evenly sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water. Allow it set for 4 minutes.
- Whisk the banana mixture in the saucepan over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk and stir as the mixture will thicken and has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil and continue to whisk vigorously for 3-4 minutes. The mixture will be quite thick. Pour the thickened banana mixture in a blender (make sure you have cleaned it from earlier use) and add the gelatine mixture and melted coconut oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a heatproof container and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the banana cream from the fridge and place in a bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Add the whipped coconut cream and whisk on low until combined, and no cream streaks remain.
- Pour the Banana Cream/Custard into a serving dish/pie crust and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Whipped Coconut Cream
- Scoop the thickened cream from the tin, discarding the watery liquid at the bottom.
- Place the cream, maple syrup and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl and beat using the whisk attachment until thick (allow 5-10 minutes).