Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
We all have our secrets… some of them more torrid than others! My latest dirty secret; the Australian Bachelor series! Firstly, what a hottie! I’m sure he has a wonderful personality, but so far all we’ve seen are his 6 pack (more like a slab!) and shiny white smile. But it’s more than just an opportunity for a married women to have a legitimate perv; it’s the drama, the romance and the cringe worthy awkward moments that make it my dirty secret!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake and Chocolate Pumpkin Cream
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- 2/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa unsweetened
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 380 grams roasted Butternut pumpkin measured after roasting (to roast pumpkin place diced pieces in moderate oven for approximately 45 minutes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Apple Sauce see recipe below
- 4 Eggs seperated
- 3/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Pumpkin Cream
- 1 cup of Canned Coconut Cream 400ml, tin opened and placed in fridge overnight (minimum 5 hours)
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin purée left over from cake
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup additional if desired when tasting
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 Apples peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup Water
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
- Grease and line a 20 cm/8 inch cake tin
- Sift coconut flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Add salt.
- Place 360 grams of roasted pumpkin and apple sauce in a blender and puree. It should be a smooth consistency. (remainder of roasted pumpkin used for cream)
- Place the egg whites into a bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk egg whites on medium/high until soft peaks form.
- Add maple syrup 1 tablespoon at a time, continuing to whisk on medium/high.
- Add vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Add egg yolks 1 at a time, whisking on medium/high, until all combined.
- The mixture should be large and fluffy.
- Add puréed mixture and whisk on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold thru sifted dry ingredients in 3 lots.
- The mixture will be quite thick.
- Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin, making sure to level off the top.
- Cook for 45 minutes, or until cook through.
- Cool in the tin before removing.
Chocolate pumpkin Cream
- Remove the can from fridge. Discard watery component and retain thickened cream. Measure 1 cup.
- Place the cream into a bowl of stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk on high until thick.
- Add all other ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Spread over the top of the cooled cake, or pipe into patterns.
- Keep refrigerated (due to cream).
- Place apples and water in saucepan. Cover with lid.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until apple is soft.
- Store in fridge.