Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
In October last year I gave up sugar. I knew I had a stressful month ahead (if only I knew!) and I wanted to avoid the stress-sugar relationship that would inevitably result. As it turned out it wasn’t that hard. I was already eating a Gluten free diet and didn’t drink soft drinks or eat lollies. I simply said no to dessert (unless I had cooked it sugar free) and made sure that I carried healthy snack options with me to avoid hunger induced cake purchases (having 2 kids usually means I have a myriad of snacks in my bottomless handbag anyway). After the sugarless October I decided to maintain the diet changes. I felt better and it would provide healthy options for my family.
As it turned out my stress only got worse and continued for another 9 months. Whilst there were times due to anxiety and depression that I didn’t feel like eating, there where others that I craved the comfort that only the sweet nectar of sugar can provide. But I stayed strong, lost 16kgs along the way and got inventive instead.
There are many websites and blogs dedicated to the Paleo and Clean Eating Lifestyle (which by definition are both gluten and sugar free), and thanks to Google there are many and varied options at your finger tips. It’s essentially healthy food without the crap! Throughout my experimentation I have found some amazing recipes and simple solutions to creating meals that are both healthy and enjoyable for the family, without giving up the old favourites. This has lead me to the ‘Great Chocolate Mousse-Off “.
To begin my blogging life I have decided to do a series of ‘Off Challenges’. I will take a traditional favorites; Chocolate Mousse, Lemon Curd, Chocolate Cake, Donuts, Banana Bread to name a few, and make different healthy versions. These will be blind taste tested by my family and friends to pick their favourite version. I may not even tell them that they are healthy!
The Great Chocolate Mousse-Off… Paleo style!
In the early 2000’s there was a TV show called ‘Temptation Island’. Every Tuesday night my friends and I would gather to watch as partners were split onto different Islands with 12 overly attractive people of the opposite sex. The premise; would they cheat on their partner? Let’s consider this – you’re on an idyllic tropical island surrounded by gorgeous models throwing themselves at you. How could this not be great viewing?!
‘Tempation Island’ night was also accompanied by a giant bowl of Chocolate Mousse… unfortunately this particular Mousse is not clean nor paleo but I have since found 4 that are!
The mousse challenge involved 4 different chocolate mousse recipes that used Avocado as the base. Whilst all were good there was one that was reminiscent of ‘Tempation Island’… one that made you feel like you were eyeing off one of the hotties on the beach! It got the tick of approval from all of my testers. Whilst it tasted amazing it was quite dense, and not as fluffy as the other mousses that also used Banana. To overcome this I whipped the Mousse in my stand mixer for 3 minutes whilst adding 1-2 tablespoons more milk. This fluffed it up nicely!
- 2 large ripe Avocados or 4 small ones
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup you could also use honey, etc.
- 1 Tableaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbspn Milk coconut, almond etc
- 1-2 Tbspn Coconut Cream
- Remove the pips from the avocados and scoop the pulp into the food processor/blender.
- Add the cocoa, maple syrup, vanilla and milk.
- Blend and blend until all the lumps and bumps are gone... then blend some more.
- Taste the mousse at this stage. If the taste of avocado is too strong add 1 Tablespoon extra each of cocoa and maple syrup. Blend and retaste. Repeat again if necessary (remembering the taste of the mousse will mellow and improve upon resting)
- The mousse is great to eat now, but for a lighter consistency transfer to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Add the extra milk and whisk for 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
- The mousse will keep in the fridge for 3 days... but will most likely be eaten much quicker!
The other Mousses we tested;
My favourite mousse served with Chocolate Pizza.