Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
To the elderly woman at the supermarket with the judgemental-looking glare headed in my direction
I am well aware that my son has his shoes on the wrong feet. If you look closer you’ll also notice his pants are back to front and his knitted jumper is inside out. I know it’s wrong and you seem to not approve but at least he’s dressed, and today that is a win in my book.
Whilst you are casting your judgemental eyes over my family let me tell you about his breakfast this morning; a banana and a cucumber. Not a conventional first meal of the day but after a 30 minute standoff over the kitchen table, breakfast became a takeaway meal in order to make school drop off on time. At least he’s been fed.
I know I have stains on my white top (it’s probably a snot swipe) and I’m wearing yesterday’s trackies but getting dressed on 4 hours of broken sleep does not lead to good fashion decisions. My ‘mum bun’ is hiding my frizzy dirty hair and there is no amount of concealer that will make my tired bags disappear. I may not be dressed to your Sunday best standards but I’m still a good person and I am trying my best.
Being a sleep deprived mum is hard work. There’s no days off, no overtime pay, no award ceremony just for getting through a day. It is the best job, the hardest job and the most rewarding and the least rewarded job of all.
So please, elderly woman at the supermarket with the judgmental look; a kind smile, a knowing look or a sympathetic nod would let me know that I am not alone. It would make me feel less like a failure and more like the mother I aspire to be.
I admit, that is chocolate on the sweet faces of my children. It’s probably from last night, even though I did tell them to wash their faces at least 10 times since then. But before you scold me for serving my 1-year-old chocolate ice cream let me tell you my secret; it was made with fruit and veggies. Yes, sometimes my kids eat ice cream twice a day but it’s not your average sugar filled dairy queen. This Green Chocolate Ice Cream is made with super ripe Avocado, Spinach and Zucchini. It’s like a 3 course meal in one cool, refreshing icy pole… and the kids can’t tell they’re getting their daily serve of fruit and veg.
This Green Chocolate Ice Cream is so easy to make I can do it in my sleep (literally). You simply put all the ingredients into the blender and buzz until a smooth, chocolate cream is formed. Pour the mixture into moulds, or a lined tin, and wait for the magic to happen because in a few hours the kids will be happily eating their veggies whilst I try and take a power nap.
- 1 Cup super ripe Avocado (approximately 3 small)
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cup Maple Syrup/Rice Malt Syrup (amount will depend on desired sweetness)
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream
- Big handful of Spinach
- 1/2 to 1 Cup grated Zucchini
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Taste and add extra sweetner if required.
- Pour the mixture directly into the moulds and place in the freezer for at least 6 hours (but preferably over night). To assist in removing the icy pole run the mound under warm water to loosen it.
- Pour the Ice-cream into a shallow container and cover. Freeze for at least 4 hours (longer is fine). Once set remove allow the contianer to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly and then serve. If the ice cream has gone icy/hard process it in the blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
- Follow the manufacturers instructions.