Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
Happy (almost) Mothers Day.
I remember the day H was born and I became a mother. It was 30 hours of stubbornness, involved a large set of kitchen tongs and ended with a bruised and battered mum and bub. A friend had bought me the (terrible) movie “White Chicks” to watch during labour, which numbed the pain for a short time thanks to the very unfunny antics of the Wayans brothers in white leather. My labour went for so long that my husband went to sleep twice; once in an uncomfortable bean bag in the delivery room the other time on the floor next to the back door of our house when we came home to feed to dogs.
The day S was born I remember going out for breakfast (and receiving terrible service – who thinks the dregs from the bottom of a tin of pineapple pieces constitutes pineapple juice?!) and during the early stages of my (super quick) labour I experimented making potato skins and spicy baked chicken. I didn’t get to eat it but made sure everyone else was well catered for. It’s amazing what you can get down between contractions!
Becoming a mother means many things, one of which being a whole day dedicated to you each May. A whole day; starting with breakfast in bed, home made cards, no chores, well mannered children and a beautifully cooked meal. Of course then the alarm goes off and you realise it’s just a fancy named Sunday but any day that begins with a snuggle Is sure to be a good day.
This Healthy Fruit and Nut Chocolate makes a perfect Mothers Day treat. It’s a bit nutty, naturally sweet and Choc full of goodness… just like your Mum!! Making this Healthy Fruit and Nut Chocolate is so simple that your kids could do it (with a little bit of help melting the coconut oil) and serve it to you for breakfast in bed (it does have both fruits and nuts and less sugar than most commercial cereals!).
This Healthy Fruit and Nut Chocolate can be made in a baking tray, chocolate moulds (there are some great shaped silicon moulds) or an ice cube tray to make individual serves. If want your Healthy Fruit and Nut chocolate to be a bit less chuncky and a bit more Chocolatey use the smaller measurements for the chocolate.
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup (increase for a sweeter chocolate)
- 2-3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract (increase for a sweeter chocolate)
- Dash of Salt
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1/3-1/2 Cup Walnut pieces (other nuts can be substituted)
- 1/3-1/2 Cup Macadamia halves or smaller (other nuts can be substituted)
- 1 Cup Sultanas (can be replaced with, or a combination of used, Raisons, Craisons, dried Fruits)
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- Melt the Coconut Oil in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat. Add the maple syrup, vanilla and stir til combined.
- Add the cocoa and salt and stir until well mixed and no cocoa lumps remain.
- Add the nuts, sultanas and seeds (or which ever combination you choose) and stir to coat all the add ins.
- Pour the fruit and nut chocolate in lightly greased chocolate moulds, ice cube trays or a lined and lightly greased medium sized baking tray or a 20cm (8inch) square cake tin.
- Place the chocolate in the freezer to set for at least 1 hour (longer is fine) before serving. Keep the chocolate in the freezer between serves.