Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
Today I didn’t get out my pyjamas until 4pm. Normally this is only acceptable if you are 2 years old or sick, and as I am neither of these it was not a good look. It was however a practical choice as I spent the day scrubbing, painting, and cleaning my house and apparently I’m a messy painter and didn’t want to get my clothes covered in paint. It did not stop my arms and the soles of my feet from having more paint on them than the walls!
Because I was so busy (and underdressed!) I did not leave the house and my kitchen was under stocked for dessert cooking… or so I thought! Most people would simply give away their Sunday night dessert in these cases but not me. I decided to make something simple that I could prepare ahead of time, was low in unrefined sugars and would be enjoyed by the whole family. I made me some Healthy Nutella Mousse.
This Healthy Nutella Mousse is made from home made Nutella and uses coconut cream to make it a dairy free treat. Making your own Nutella is really simple and it contains less sugar, no additives and can be made dairy free. I have a tendency to eat it straight from the blender so I normally make a double batch to ensure I actually have enough left.
I was inspired to make this Healthy Nutella Mousse from a recipe I saw on Taste. I love to drool over the photos of the desserts and come up with ways for me to be able to eat them, and I’m glad I did tonight. This Healthy Nutella Mousse is light without feeling like you’re only eating air, and quite filling due to the nuts. The whole thing only contains ¼ Cup of Maple Syrup; so each serving has approximately 2-3 teaspoons of sweetener. Not bad for such a decadent looking dessert. I served mine with Whipped Coconut Cream and Strawberries, but you could also use Chocolate Cream, Chocolate Fudge Sauce or just sprinkle some nuts on top.
- 1 Serve of Nutella (approximately 250grams)
- 400 grams Coconut Cream (the thickened part of an opened can of coconut cream or milk that has been left in the fridge overnight- you will need 2 400ml cans to get 400 grams)
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Gelatine
- Optional: 2-3 teaspoons of Maple Syrup if you like your mousse sweeter.
- Whipped Coconut Cream for serving
- Cocoa for dusting
- 120 grams raw Hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cocoa
- Dash of Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Milk (of choice)
- Place the Nutella and Cream in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth and luke warm (approximately 4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the gelatine over the water and allow to set.
- Once the Nutella and cream have warmed and become smooth add the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Taste at this point and add additional maple syrup as required.
- Allow the Nutella Mousse to cool slightly then pour into 4 serving glasses or bowls.
- Place in the fridge and allow the mousse to set for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with whipped Coconut cream and dust with cocoa.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Roast the hazelnuts for 8-10 minutes and remove from oven and allow to cool until they can be handled. Rub the hazelnuts with a paper towel or a tea towel to get the skins off. (It’s ok if a few stubborn skins won’t come off.)
- Add the nuts to a food processor and blend until the nuts have turned to butter (if this is not happening easily add the maple syrup to help soften the nuts).
- Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth (this may take a few minutes)
- Keep refrigerated if not using immediately.