Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
Not everything in my kitchen goes according to plan. You only see the successes; there are many interesting versions along the way.
For example: I was making a Pecan Brittle the other day but didn’t let it set long enough before I blended it to make crumbs. Instead of crunchy, toffee nut crumbs I got a gooey ball of unidentified nuttiness (perhaps some might say that is my personality!). As I am determined to not waste food I decided to turn this disaster into Pecan Pie Cookies. The mixture tasted right… but when they came out of the oven the cookies had ‘melted’ and I was left with a nut ‘leather’ (that’s the only way I can describe it; a protein version of a fruit leather roll up). I thought I had struck accidental genius gold… But alas no. I had baked something that had the ability to pull out tooth fillings with a single bite. It was binned and I chalked it up to a learning experience.
This ‘Lemon Butter’ did not start out its life with the intention off being a vegan butter option but sometimes when life gives you lemons you find a way to make it taste great! This ‘Lemon Butter’ is a Vegan and Paleo version of a lemon butter spread. It uses blended cashews and coconut to make a smooth paste which is flavoured by a lot of lemon juice and zest. Spread it on Banana Bread or use it on top of Carrot Cupcakes as a tasty frosting or, as 4 yo H has been doing, eat it by the sneaky spoonful.
I have become quite obsessed with nut butters lately and all the ways you can use them. This ‘Lemon Butter’ is essentially a flavoured nut butter and later this week I’ll show you some tasty ways to use it!
Lemon Butter2014-07-09 04:45:52This Lemon Butter is Vegan and Paleo friendlyPrep Time10 minTotal Time10 minPrep Time10 minTotal Time10 minIngredients
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1 1/2 Cups Desiccated Coconut
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- Optional: dash of Vanilla ExtractInstructions
- Place all ingredients into a high powered blender and process until a smooth paste forms.
- Place the lemon butter in a seal-able container/jar.
- The Lemon Butter will need to be at room temperature when using as a spread or in a cookie/doughnut recipe.Mummy Made.It - Gluten Free, Paleo Desserts http://mummymade.it/