Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
Today I went on a quest. Not a geeky, dwarf/troll quest when you can say you’re a warrior but in reality you’re 45, in your jocks and still live with your mum.
A cupcake quest.
A Banana Cupcake Quest.
I had to wrestle the eggs, conquer the coconut flour and rise above the baking powder to be triumphant… but it was not without losses. The chickpeas became a casualty early on as they showed signs of mental strain (they were too nutty!) and the arrowroot bowed out on account of social incompatibility (it didn’t mix well!). Four lives (batches) later I conquered the kitchen trolls and reached bananatopia.
Finally, a version that had the right banana flavor without any compromise on texture.
My quest was complete! And In the end there was only 1 winner… me as I got to lick the Butternut Snap Cookie Dough Frosting bowl.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Almond meal
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot
- 2/3 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, softened (not melted)
- 1-3 Tablespoons Milk (depends on how thick you want the frosting to be)
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
- Place 8 cupcake liners into a muffin tray and grease.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a kitchen stand with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.
- Add the maple syrup slowly whilst still whisking.
- Add the mashed banana and vanilla extract.
- Continue to whisk.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the coconut flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk on low til combined.
- Add the milk and whisk on high until combined.
- Spoon cupcake mixture into the liners, smoothing the top of each cake.
- Bake in oven for 23-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool in the tray for 10 minutes before removing from the tray.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Place all the indigents (except the milk) in a blender or kitchen stand bowl (a mixing bowl would work if you have strong arm muscles) and blend/mix/stir until combine.
- Add the milk, 1Tablespoon at a time until the right consistency is reached.
- The frosting can be thicker if spreading onto the cupcake; more milk may be required if using a piping bag.
- Pipe/spread onto the cupcakes.