Guilt-less Desserts & Treats for your Family
So because I can’t bake I’ve been coming up with ideas for new recipes, searching for recipes to adapt and dreaming about all the creating I can do when I get home.
Rockyroad marshmallow, hot chocolate popcorn, lemon pie, jelly slice… I’m getting hungry just thinking about them!
When experimenting in the kitchen it’s good to have a base recipe to adapt and play with. The versatile cake recipe now comes in many different forms, and the basic biscuit base can be made plain, chocolate or hazelnut flavored.
This Marshmallow recipe is simple to master and, in future posts, will be adapted to make different flavors, slices and treats.
I made both marshmallow squares (using a tray) and small marshmallows (using a piping bag). They can be quite sticky. To combat this sprinkle (using a sieve) arrowroot or cornflower over the marshmallows.
- 100ml Water
- 3/4 cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Gelatin
- 100ml Water
- 1 Egg White, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- Arrowroot for sprinkling
- Place 100ml of water and Maple Syrup/Honey in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- At the same time sprinkle the gelatin over 100ml of water and allow to thicken.
- Once the mixture is boiling reduce the heat slightly and add the thickened gelatin mixture, whisking vigorously to incorporated the gelatin and ensure no lumps remain.
- Return to medium heat and return to the boil and boil for 1 minute, continuing to whisk.
- Place the egg white in a clean bowl of a kitchen stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Place mixture on medium and whisk until the egg white is frothy.
- Pour the hot mixture in to the bowl, pouring slowly along the edge of the bowl.
- Turn whisk to high and whisk for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Vanilla and whisk on high until firm but not set (another minute)
- The mixture should be shiny and thick, but still able to be piped and spread.
- Spread into a greased and lined dish or pipe out onto a greased and lined tray.
- Allow to sit at room temperature overnight.
- Once set sprinkle the arrowroot over Marshmallow pieces (this makes them less sticky and easier to handle). Alternatively, roll the pieces in arrowroot or you could even use desiccated coconut.