Gingerbread Fruit Mince Biscuits
I made too much fruit mince. After making many mince pies and fruit mince cupcakes I STILL had 1/2 a jar left.
This is how the gingerbread fruit mince biscuits came to be; as a use for left overs!
I must confess; this was not my idea. I recall seeing it somewhere, but for the life of me I can’t find the original concept anywhere. It would also work with stars or hearts; but trees are just so Christmassy.
Feel free to substitute another biscuit recipe, (you could use this or this recipe) but I chose this one as it is also vegetarian friendly.
Gingerbread Fruit Mice Pies
- 300 grams Almond Meal
- 200 grams Arrowroot flour
- Dash Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarb
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 100 grams Coconut Oil, softened slightly
- 125 grams Dates
- 65 ml boiling water
- 300 grams Golden Syrup
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 1 apple, grated
- 50 grams dates
- 25 ml boiling water
- Dash of bicarb
- 1 tablespoon Marmalade (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 125ml Port or Sherry
- 125 Water
- 65ml Brandy
- Place the dates in a small bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Allow to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes (the longer the better).
- Place the dates in the blender and process on high until a paste forms.
- Add the golden syrup and blend on high for 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and blend until combined.
- Add the coconut oil in small pieces and blend on high until combined (1-2 minutes).
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 170C/350F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out between 2 layers of greased baking paper.
- Use a Christmas Tree cookie cutter and cut out an even number of shapes.
- Place 1/2 the trees on the lined and greased baking tray.
- Dollop a spoonful of fruit mince (recipe below) onto the middle of each tree.
- Place another tree on top of the mince, gently pressing the edges of the 2 trees together.
- Complete for all the trees.
- Place the baking trays with completed gingerbread fruit mince trees in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Leave the biscuits in the tray to cool for 30 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Place the dates in a bowl, cover with the boiling water and add the bicarb.
- Allow to sit for 20 minutes then blend until puréed.
- Place all the fruit mince ingredients, including the date mixture, into a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Blend slightly to combine all the ingredients using a hand mixer.
- If you are making the mince in advance store in warmed glass jars.
- Keep in a dark and cool cupboard, shaking occasionally.
- Can keep for up to 1 month.
- For Paleo Marmalade recipe: http://livinghealthywithchocolate.com/desserts/paleo-orange-marmalade-722/
Mummy Made.It - Gluten Free, Paleo Desserts http://mummymade.it/